Galcanezumab-gnlm (By injection)
Galcanezumab-gnlm (gal-ka-NEZ-ue-mab - gnlm)
Prevents migraine headaches. Also treats episodic cluster headaches.
EmgalityThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to galcanezumab-gnlm.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You may be taught how to give your medicine at home. Make sure you understand all instructions before giving yourself an injection. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- You will be shown the body areas where this shot can be given. Use a different body area each time you give yourself a shot. Keep track of where you give each shot to make sure you rotate body areas. Do not inject into skin areas that are tender, red, bruised, or hard.
- Allow this medicine to warm to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before using it. Do not warm it in any other way.
- Check the liquid in the prefilled syringe. It should be clear and colorless to slightly yellow or slightly brown. Do not use it if it is cloudy, discolored, or has particles in it. Do not shake.
- Use a new needle and syringe each time you inject your medicine.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: If you miss a dose of this medicine, use it as soon as you can. Then, continue to use it each month from the date of your last dose. If you use this medicine for an episodic cluster headache, continue to use this medicine each month from the date of your last dose until the end of the cluster period.
- If you store this medicine at home, keep it in the refrigerator. Do not freeze. Keep the medicine in its original carton. You may also store it at room temperature for up to 7 days. Do not place it back in the refrigerator once you store it at room temperature.
- Throw away used needles in a hard, closed container that the needles cannot poke through. Keep this container away from children and pets.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.