Lanthanum (By mouth)
Lanthanum Carbonate (LAN-tha-num KAR-bo-nate)
Lowers phosphate levels in people who have end-stage kidney disease.
FosrenolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to lanthanum, or if you have bowel blockage (including ileus or blockage in your rectum).
How to Use This Medicine:
Powder, Chewable Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take this medicine with a meal or immediately after a meal.
- Tablet: Chew or crush the tablet completely before you swallow it. Do not swallow whole tablets.
- Powder: If you cannot chew the tablets, use the oral powder form of this medicine. Sprinkle the oral powder on a small amount of applesauce or similar food. Mix and then swallow the mixture immediately. Do not store this mixture. Do not mix this medicine with water or other liquid.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how lanthanum works. You may still be able to take these medicines, but you must take them at a different time than you take lanthanum.
- Take these medicines 2 hours before or 2 hours after you take lanthanum:
- Antacids containing aluminum, calcium, or magnesium
- Blood pressure medicine (ACE inhibitor, including enalapril, lisinopril, ramipril)
- Medicine to treat infection (including ampicillin, quinolones, tetracycline)
- Medicine to treat malaria
- Statin medicine to lower cholesterol
- Take antibiotics (including ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin) 1 hour before or 4 hours after you take lanthanum.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using a calcium channel blocker blood pressure medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, Crohn disease, ulcerative colitis, or a history of serious problems with your digestive system (including stomach or bowel cancer, ulcers, or surgery).
- This medicine may cause bowel problems (including stomach and bowel blockage or perforation, ileus, or blockage in your rectum), which may require surgery or hospitalization.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.