Olopatadine (Into the eye)
Olopatadine Hydrochloride (oh-loe-PA-ta-deen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats eye itching caused by allergic conjunctivitis (pink eye). Also treats eye itching or redness caused by pollen, ragweed, grass, animal hair, or dander.
Leader Eye Allergy Itch & Redness Relief, Leader Eye Allergy Itch Relief, Pataday, Pataday 24HR, Pataday Once Daily Relief, Pataday Twice Daily Relief, PatanolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to olopatadine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- Do not use if the liquid changes color or become cloudy.
- Contact lenses: Remove contact lenses before you put the drops in your eyes. Wait at least 10 minutes before you put them back in. Do not wear contact lenses if your eyes are red.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- If you are also using other eye products while using Pataday®, wait at least 5 minutes between each product.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Do not use this medicine for irritation caused by contact lenses.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision
- Headache, sore throat, stuffy or runny nose
- Increased redness, itching, pain, or swelling of the eye
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning, stinging, or dry eyes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.