Cetirizine (By mouth)
Treats hay fever and allergy symptoms, hives, and itching.
Allergy Relief, CareALL Allergy Relief, Children's Allergy Relief, Children's Wal-Zyr All Day Allergy, Children's ZyrTEC, Children's ZyrTEC Allergy, Equate Allergy Relief, Equate Children's Allergy Relief, Good Neighbor Pharmacy All Day Allergy, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Children's All Day Allergy, Good Sense All Day Allergy, Good Sense Children's All Day Allergy, Health Mart All Day Allergy, Health Mart Allergy Relief, Health Mart Children's All Day AllergyThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to cetirizine or hydroxyzine (Atarax®, Vistaril®). Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 2 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine:
Tablet, Chewable Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Chew the chewable tablet thoroughly before you swallow it. You may also let the chewable tablet melt slowly in your mouth.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a full glass of water. Do not chew, crush, or break it.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- The liquid medicine may be kept in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using theophylline.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using other medicines that might make you sleepy such as cold or allergy medicines, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, or strong pain killers.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Talk with your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Check with your doctor before using this medicine if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Skin or whites of your eyes turn yellow.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness.
- Dry mouth.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.