Loperamide (By mouth)
Treats diarrhea and decreases the amount of drainage in patients who have ileostomies.
Anti-Diarrheal, Diamode, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Anti-Diarrheal, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Loperamide Hydrochloride, Good Sense Anti-Diarrheal, GoodSense Loperamide Hydrochloride, Health Mart Anti-Diarrheal, Imodium A-D, Kaodene A-D, Leader Anti-Diarrheal, Sunmark Anti-Diarrheal, TopCare Anti-DiarrhealThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to loperamide, or if you have stomach or bowel problems (including dysentery, enterocolitis caused by bacteria, pseudomembranous colitis, stomach pain without diarrhea, ulcerative colitis).
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule, Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
- Drink plenty of water while using this medicine.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how loperamide works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Gemfibrozil, itraconazole, levomethadyl acetate, methadone, pentamidine, ritonavir, saquinavir
- Antibiotics (including moxifloxacin)
- Medicine for heart rhythm problems (including amiodarone, procainamide, quinidine, sotalol)
- Medicine to treat mental illness (including chlorpromazine, haloperidol, thioridazine, ziprasidone)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart disease, HIV or AIDS, or a history of heart rhythm problems.
- Do not breastfeed during treatment with this medicine.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Heart rhythm problem (including QT prolongation, torsades de pointes, ventricular arrhythmias)
- Increased risk for stomach or bowel problems (including ileus, megacolon, toxic megacolon)
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or tired. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloating, blood in the stools, constipation, fever, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain
- Chest pain, trouble breathing, fainting, fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/2/2022
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.